1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
- Spoke at NCTE
- Went to Boston
- Edited my fourth novel
- Became a (qualified) teacher
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO. I had all these grand ideas about reading the Four Great Classical Novels and I got about a third of the way through Journey to the West before school ate my brain.
I've got some in mind for next year, though.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my BFF. Then she named the baby after me. VICTORY LAP.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
The USA, and thank goodness for publishers because I was about ready to claw something if I didn't get out of the country for a moment.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A steady pay check! And I'm gonna!
NOPE NOPE NOPE this is the most boring list ever. I'm going to start lying now.
7. What was your favorite new recipe this year?
Harving of the Deeps showed me an excellent way to roast wild greldebeest over whitewood. The secret is gutting the greldebeest WHILE it cooks.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Oh, definitely raising up the seven spheres over the seven towers in the Kindred Night. The bards will be singing about that one for at least three ages of the People.
9. What was your biggest failure?
It's hard to choose. Losing Hilam was a bitter blow, and I regret that I could not prevent his drawn-out demise. But also, that time I picked up the Orb of Jer when I had just read the scroll warning me not to pick up the Orb of Jer seems, in retrospect, to have been something of an error.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hah! 'Tis but a scratch!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
This cloak pin. It increases my night vision and wards off bad smells! Well, when I say "bought", it was more like, "strip from the loathsome corpse of Kinnear the Ghoul King", but same difference.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Deri of the Underhill! Her valiant speeches turned the tide and overthrew the cruel tyrannies of the Pale Lords!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Axera the Usurper, Tlench of the Arid Waste, and Ani DiFranco.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Redcap rental. They can carry a lot of loot, so it's worth the expense, but I swear the overtime charges wasn't as described in the contract. I lost the contract somewhere over the Gully of Despair, though, so you get what you get.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Oh, Free People! When I held aloft the seventh sphere and felt my bones thrill to the music of the First People and their song burst through my unworthy throat like a cataract leaping gladly from the mountain's peak, that was pretty great.
16. What are you looking forward to in 2014?
I hear there's an ogre in Jarnstown who makes armor from starlight! I plan an expedition to barter for his wares in the season of drifting snow.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Smiting. I did quite a lot of smiting, but it's never enough, is it?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Mourning lost companions. May you wander wisely in the vales of night, dear Hilam.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Burning the bones of Axera the Usurper. They smelt most peculiar.
21. How will you be spending New Year's?
Leaping over the flames with my beloved. Haha!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I don't possess a TV. However, Graelie would sometimes show us the tales of yore in zir Shining Orb by the campfire of an eve, and that was most grand! I like the tale of Dark Mirpin the Wise best.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I did, but those wretched souls no longer trouble the Free Cities. There's no honour in hating the dead! Haha!
24. What was the best book you read?
I don't go in for that reading much. Graelie is our reader. Zhe's helping me with the writing too.
25. What did you want and get?
My beloved's hand, given most tenderly in exchange for mine.
26. What did you want and not get?
Hilam, come safely back to us from the Howling Peak.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Thor 2, obviously.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
One doesn't ask the Lady of Flame her age! Such information could be turned to deadly purpose. I had a small celebration, with my beloved and my dear companions, followed by a limited, but enjoyable, riot in the local tavern. Hilam had secretly fashioned a wooden image of me from larkswood. I keep it with me always.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Hide and chic. My beloved gave me this velvet Cloak of Flame, which I wear on formal occasions. It contrasts nicely with my overall battered leather and fur ensemble.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Ah, if only I had been faster.
31. Who did you miss?
Graelie, these questions are very personal.
32. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't want to do this any more.
33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Ah! Turn the seventh sphere COUNTER-clockwise.
ETA: Edited to change the first name I gave this narrator because I googled after posting and what was a random confluence of letters to me is a real thing to millions of Hindu people and NOPE NOPE. Sorry to anyone who saw that!
This entry was originally posted at http://karenhealey.dreamwidth.org/70852.html. You can comment here, at Dreamwidth using OpenID, or at my website, karenhealey.com